Portfolio Changes for Members of Legislative Assembly: June 2018
Members of the new Falkland Islands Legislative Assembly (MLAs) have announced various changes to their portfolios, following a planned review after six months in office. The aim was to provide greater clarity in the detail of each portfolio, as well as to ensure a workload balance for each portfolio holder.
The main changes to the structure are as follows:
- MLA - Mark Pollard has replaced MLA Roger Spink as deputy portfolio holder for Development and Commercial Services;
- MLA Mark Pollard now also leads on Tourism in his portfolio of Trade and Industry, taking over from deputy MLA Stacy Bragger;
- MLA Roger Spink has replaced MLA Barry Elsby as deputy portfolio holder for Health and Social Services;
- MLA Barry Elsby has replaced MLA Mark Pollard as deputy portfolio holder for Public Works;
- MLA Leona Roberts has replaced MLA Teslyn Barkman as portfolio lead for the Environment; MLA Barkman becomes Deputy for Environment with Environment now included within the re-named policy area of Environment and Public Protection;
- MLA Stacy Bragger now has lead responsibility for SAAS under the Trade and Industry portfolio;
- MLA Barry Elsby now has lead responsibility for Public Health, which comes under the Policy unit;
- MLA Teslyn Barkman now has deputy responsibility for Rural Development within the policy area of Trade & Industry;
- MLA Ian Hansen now leads on Falklands Land Holdings (FLH) under the Natural resources portfolio;
- The International Relations, Public Relations and Media portfolio, which is the responsibility of all eight Members of the Legislative Assembly, has been renamed the Policy and Public Relations portfolio. Within this, MLAs Leona Roberts and Stacy Bragger remain in the lead on Communications Strategies as do MLAs Roger Edwards and Teslyn Barkman on Brexit/EU.
The New Portfolio Structure can be found at: https://www.fig.gov.fk/assembly/about-the-assembly/portfolios
The Association welcomes new members who support the continuing freedom of the people of Falkland Islands. Just click the tab below to learn about the different levels of membership that are available in the UK and overseas.